Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sorting Machines


Several years ago the Director of College Counseling and I met with a senior admissions officer at an Ivy League school.  At one point in the conversation she said, “If you want more Ivies on your college list, admit more talent.”  I don’t think I will ever forget that statement.  I understand what she was saying, and I certainly see the validity of her point.  But implicit in this statement is a rather cynical attitude about the value of teaching. 

It’s subtle, I admit, but still, unmistakable – don’t expect your teachers to do more than sort the wheat from the chaff. Insist that teachers throw out the challenges to the kids, and the school will eventually be able to separate the great students from the merely good ones, the athletes who will play in college from the others, and the great musicians from the rest. The role of the teacher is simply to challenge - challenge to the nth degree so that the school can properly sort the students in ways that make it easy for selective colleges to render admission decisions. 

OK, I admit that the above is only a partial truth, but that’s what happens when a school, almost unknowingly, acts as if its sorting function is the most important value.   There are lots of schools - private and public - that would never admit to this uncomfortable truth, but they exist.  Having teachers who inspire, teachers who care, teachers who make a difference, teachers who value students and search for their talents, takes a back seat to the sorting function.  Many of these “sorting” schools veil their ultimate goal with lots of talk about close student-teacher relationships, and there is probably enough truth in these statements to make prospective students and parents feel good about their choice.  But make no mistake; the highest value in the hierarchy of values at these schools is to sort. 

I love teachers and their power to make a difference in so many wonderful ways.  Even as I moved into administration, I was always in awe of the impact teachers had on the lives of students.  I was, to be honest, jealous of these great teachers even in my role as their supervisor.  To become a mere ‘sorting machine” is to denigrate this great profession and limit a school’s ability to value the multi-dimensional glory of each of its students.  May this never happen at Rivers!

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very nice. useful content. i have a similar product. Kindly visit my page Sorting machines .

    Color sorters

    ReplyDelete